Wednesday, July 26, 2006

When the adults are away the kiddies will play

(Warning - parental guidance(?) is advised)

I'ts been a while since I discovered that Kodomo no Jikan has been licensed. I still can't fully accept it. WHAT THE F*** ARE THOSE AMERICANS THINKING? Titles like these aren't meant for the average consumer.

So what is Kojika(Kodomo no Jikan)? It's a story about a teacher who was just newly hired in an elementary school. He handles a grade-3 class after their previous homeroom teacher left "due to sickness". The manga is about his everyday struggle to teach the children.... things.

Now why am I so annoyed at Kojika's licensing? Usually, when I hear of of a title being licensed, I just let it be and hope that somehow an underground group still release the title. But this time, it's different. Not that because I follow it or anything(just picked it up and read it when I was bored). But it's because manga like these should NOT be officially licensed to North America. NEVER. EVER. As Akatsuki-manga's division L puts it, "If you don't like stories about little girls, and I mean stories ABOUT little girls, stay away from kojika". It has a mature rating (explicit sexual content) but look at the story...

Here are some examples of what I'm talking about(scanlations from akatsuki-manga):

Kiss your freedom goodbye sensei
What are kids talking about these days eh?
Be careful what you wish for
That's some motivation to study hard

I can't post the images here, since they're not "safe"...

*sigh* Manga and anime could have a really really bad reputation because of acts like these by those american licensing companies... And I thought those americans were pretty sensitive when it comes to these topics...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think that Kodomo no Jikan is just misunderstood. The "Strong Sexual Content" is purely innuendo. America runs on innuendo. Also, as far as Ive read, Nothing has happened at all, and Personally I think that the story is going to take a turn to the more innocent side of pubescent confusion. But hey. Either licensed or not I get to read the manga through Fansubs!